The Ministry of Environment will call on veterinary officers from the armed forces to keep emergency wildlife treatment running, as a work-to-rule campaign by wildlife veterinarians runs into a third month.

The ministry said the decision followed practical difficulties in treating injured and vulnerable wild animals outside normal working hours, including at weekends and on public holidays. Ada Derana reported the arrangement as covering veterinary officers attached to the Ministry of Defence; NewsFirst described them as Tri-Forces veterinary officers.

A dispute running since June

The Wildlife and Zoo Veterinary Officers’ Association launched the work-to-rule action on June 1, meaning officers have now been engaged in it for more than two and a half months.

The two newsrooms give overlapping accounts of what the officers want. Ada Derana reported the association is seeking an additional service allowance, a risk allowance and formal procedures for working on weekends and holidays. NewsFirst reported the key demands as the creation of five Grade I positions in the service, an allowance for extended working hours and a dedicated supporting staff structure.

NewsFirst said the underlying grievances have gone unresolved for more than a decade.

No resolution yet

Association President Dr. Nihal Pushpakumara said authorities have so far failed to provide solutions, and that the trade union action will continue until the demands are met.

The ministry said discussions on the concerns have been ongoing and that efforts have been made to address the officers’ demands.

Staffing in the service has been under scrutiny. Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa told the parliamentary climate caucus on Sunday that the Department of Wildlife Conservation has 17 veterinary surgeons against an approved cadre of 33, and called for wildlife vets to be given proper recognition and career progression under the Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance.

Sources